THE MERCANTILE INVESTMENT TRUST PLC
Discovering developing firms is our passion
The trust aims to achieve capital growth through a portfolio of UK medium and small company stocks by targeting only the most attractive companies identified by our rigorous investment research process.
Why invest in the UK?
Guy Anderson, Fund Manager of The Mercantile Investment Trust plc discusses the opportunities and challenges of investing in the UK small and mid-cap market.
Some of the themes discussed include:
- Perception vs reality of investing in the UK
- Evolution of the UK market post Brexit
- UK Market trends
Elevator Pitch: Guy Anderson
Filmed for The UK Edge, Guy Anderson provides the key facts about his fund.
The UK Edge is an online community for financial professionals to help navigate the crowded UK investment market.
About this trust
Investment objective and policies
The Trust aims to achieve capital growth through investing in a diversified portfolio of UK medium and smaller companies. It pays quarterly dividends and aims to grow its dividend at least in line with inflation. The Company can hold up to 10% cash or utilise gearing of up to 20% of net assets where appropriate.
- The leading UK equity trust with assets over £2 billion and 130 years of experience.
- Focuses on UK companies outside the FTSE 100, which have established track records and significant room for growth.
- An experienced management team who, supported by experienced researchers and analysts, combine vision and expertise to seek out success stories from this dynamic area of the stock market.
- Long-term record of quarterly dividend payments to shareholders.
The value of investments and the income from them can go down and up, and you may not get back as much as you paid in. Past performance is not a guide to the future.
For further risks associated with this trust please refer to the 'Risks' section below.
Points to consider
- Investments in smaller companies may involve a higher degree of risk as these are usually more sensitive to price movements.
- External factors may cause an entire asset class to decline in value. Prices and values of all shares or all bonds could decline at the same time.
- This trust may utlilise gearing (borrowing) which will exaggerate market movements both up and down.
Why invest in this trust
Launched in 1884, this is one of the oldest and largest investment trusts in the UK. The trust aims to provide income and capital growth through opportunities in UK mid and small cap stocks by targeting only the most attractive companies identified by our rigorous research process.
Board of Directors
In their words (as of 31 Oct 2017)
At a sector level, support services and software & computer services were the standout contributors. Again, there were no material detractors. We continue to believe that UK mid and small cap companies offer good prospects for long-term capital growth and income.
- Complete NAV summary as at 31 December 2017
- Full portfolio listing as at close of business as at 30 September 2017
- Investment Trust Profiles
- Monthly Factsheet
- Investor Disclosure Document
- LSE Trust Announcements
- Alternative Investment Fund Managers Directive Disclosures
- AIFMD Remuneration Disclosure
Committee Terms Of Reference
Reports and Accounts
- 2017 Half Year Report
- 2017 Annual Report
- 2016 Half Year Report
- 2016 Annual Report
- 2015 Half Year Report
- 2015 Annual Report
- 2014 Half Year Report
- 2014 Annual Report
- 2013 Half Year Report
- 2013 Annual Report
- 2012 Half Year Report
- 2012 Annual Report
- 2011 Half Year Report
- 2011 Annual Report
- 2010 Half Year Report
- 2010 Annual Report
- 2009 Half Year Report
- 2009 Annual Report
- Mercantile historical reports
For Professional Clients – not for Retail use or distribution.
This is a promotional page and as such the views contained herein are not to be taken as advice or recommendation to buy or sell any investment or interest thereto. Reliance upon information in this material is at the sole discretion of the reader. Any research on this page has been obtained and may have been acted upon by J.P. Morgan Asset Management for its own purpose. The results of such research are being made available as additional information and do not necessarily reflect the views of J.P. Morgan Asset Management. Any forecasts, figures, opinions, statements of financial market trends or investment techniques and strategies expressed are unless otherwise stated, J.P. Morgan Asset Management’s at the date of publishing. They are considered to be reliable at the time of publishing, may not necessarily be all-inclusive and are not guaranteed as to accuracy. They may be subject to change without reference or notification to you.
It should be noted that the value of investments and the income from them may fluctuate in accordance with market conditions and taxation agreements and investors may not get back the full amount invested. Changes in exchange rates may have an adverse effect on the value, price or income of the products or underlying overseas investments. Past performance is not a reliable indicator to current and future results. There is no guarantee that any forecast made will come to pass. Furthermore, whilst it is the intention to achieve the investment objective of the investment products, there can be no assurance that those objectives will be met.
Investment is subject to documentation (Investor Disclosure Document, Key Features and Terms and Conditions), copies of which can be obtained free of charge from JPMorgan Asset Management Marketing Limited. Issued by JPMorgan Asset Management Marketing Limited which is authorised and regulated in the UK by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered in England No: 288553. Registered address: 25 Bank St, Canary Wharf, London E14 5JP.
*FE Crown rating as at 01 January 2018.
FE Crown Fund Ratings © 2017 FE. All rights reserved.
Moneyfacts award as at: 17 November 2017. ©2017 Moneyfacts Group plc. All Rights Reserved.